The works cited web page is the a part of a analysis paper that lists all of the sources utilized by the creator together with further info just like the writer or URL. The works cited web page is an integral a part of any paper written in MLA format as it’s a option to confirm that the knowledge within the paper is factual.
So how do you write a works cited web page? Under, we cowl the fundamentals of the way to cite sources utilizing MLA format and clarify the way to write a works cited web page following the official pointers from the ninth version of the MLA Handbook.
What’s a works cited web page?
Works cited pages are vital to incorporate in analysis papers to confirm that the knowledge comes from legitimate sources. Whereas every writing format has its personal system for validating sources, the works cited web page is the official methodology of the Trendy Language Affiliation (MLA), whose format is often utilized in educational writing.
When writing a paper in MLA format, all of the sources used for analysis are listed within the final part of the paper, the works cited web page. There are very explicit pointers for formatting this web page to make it straightforward for readers to seek out and entry the identical assets.
Remember that in-text citations are completely different from citations on the works cited web page. In-text citations seem within the physique of the paper after the associated passage. These citations comprise the creator’s or creator’s final identify and a web page quantity if relevant, whereas the works-cited-page quotation accommodates further info just like the creator’s full identify, publishing firm, and publication dates.
MLA citations vs. APA- and Chicago-style citations
The three most important types used for tutorial writing are MLA format, APA format, and Chicago type. Whereas all three are acknowledged as legitimate, every has their very own beneficial usages and explicit guidelines on formatting, and completely different disciplines choose completely different types.
With out getting too deep into the small print, right here’s the beneficial subject material for every type:
- MLA: arts and humanities
- APA: social sciences
- Chicago: historical past
The three types every have their very own method to formatting citations as nicely. For instance, APA format makes use of a references web page instead of a works cited web page. It additionally locations emphasis on the date of publication, whereas MLA format emphasizes the creator or creator. Likewise, Chicago type extensively makes use of footnotes for in-text references, whereas MLA and APA codecs choose in-text citations.
Tips on how to write a works cited web page in MLA format
Works cited pages are written in a uniform method in order that anybody can discover and find the unique sources on their very own.
In accordance with the MLA Handbook ninth version (the newest), from 2021, these are the foundations for writing a works cited web page:
- Start the works cited web page on a brand new web page. The web page ought to comply with the identical formatting as the opposite pages within the doc: 8.5-by-11-inch paper with one-inch margins on each aspect.
- As with different pages, use double house and a 12-point font of Occasions New Roman, Helvetica, or Arial.
- Write “Works Cited” because the title of the web page and middle it. It ought to be the one textual content centered on this web page.
- In MLA format, every supply will get its personal quotation (we’ll clarify this extra within the subsequent part).
- The primary line of every quotation is not indented, however all strains after the primary are indented by 0.5 inches.
- Use the abbreviation “pp.” earlier than a variety of a number of web page numbers; use “p.” earlier than a single web page quantity.
- MLA type omits the primary set of repeated digits in web page ranges, so when you’re referencing pages 125 via 150, you’ll write that as “pp. 125–50.”
- Dates are written as “Day Month Yr” with no commas. For instance: 6 Sept. 2022. For guide publication dates, it’s okay to record solely the 12 months.
- All quotation entries should finish with a interval.
Titles of works
- For the titles of works, use title capitalization (capitalize the primary letter of every phrase besides articles, prepositions, or conjunctions, except they’re the primary phrase within the title). For instance: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
- Use italics for the titles of standalone works like books and journals; use citation marks for works like articles or poems which can be contained in bigger works.
- Point out the identify of containers the place relevant. Containers are common sources that gather different sources collectively, corresponding to a guide that collects quick tales or a journal or on-line database that collects beforehand revealed articles.
- If the creator or creator makes use of a pseudonym or stage identify, cite them as such.
- Write names as “Final Title, First Title Center Preliminary.” For instance: Thompson, Hunter S.
- Omit extraneous titles corresponding to Dr. in addition to levels like PhD.
- Citations are listed in alphabetical order by the final identify of the creator or creator. If a supply has no creator or its creator is unknown, begin the quotation with the work’s title. Use the primary letter of the title when alphabetizing all citations.
- For those who’re citing a couple of supply by the identical creator, use three hyphens instead of the identify for all entries after the primary, like this: —.
- On-line assets require the supply location as both a URL or DOI quantity. This contains on-line assets that had been initially revealed in print.
- URLs do not require https or http. You’ll be able to start URLs with www or no matter comes first.
- Write the identify of the web site in italics, adopted by a comma, earlier than the URL. For instance: JSTOR, www.jstor.org/secure. Optionally, you too can embrace the publication date after the web site identify and earlier than the URL.
- If the date you accessed the web info is related, on the finish of the quotation write “Accessed” adopted by the suitable “Day Month Yr.” For instance: www.grammarly.com. Accessed 6 Sept. 2022. This format is extremely beneficial if no publication date is given.
Tips on how to cite sources in MLA format, with examples
Now that we’ve lined the way to write a works cited web page, let’s talk about the way to cite sources. The citations within the works cited web page have their very own particular guidelines, which range relying on the kind of work.
Usually, there are 9 potential components to incorporate in a works-cited-page quotation. Most quotation entries received’t use all 9, however simply in case, we’ve listed all of them. Take note of the order of the weather listed under, as that’s their official order within the quotation entry.
Additionally take note of the punctuation after every listed ingredient, as that’s the official punctuation for the quotation entry. If the title ends with a selected punctuation mark, corresponding to a query mark or exclamation level, forgo the interval or comma.
Creator or creator.
Title of labor.
Title of container,
Contributor [translator or editor],
Model or version,
Quantity [volume number or issue number],
Web page numbers or web tackle. [Remember to include the website name in italics before the URL or DOI number.]
Do not forget that all citations should finish in a interval, so remember to add one after the ultimate ingredient in your quotation no matter what it refers to.
Put every little thing collectively, and your quotation ought to look one thing like this:
What Sort of Creatures Are We? Columbia College Press, 2016.
That is only a common instance, in fact. In observe, every supply could have its personal particular necessities.
Formatting citations can appear overwhelming, particularly as a result of the foundations are so exact. Fortunately, we’ve already written extensively about the way to format particular varieties of works to reply all of your questions. You could find our articles on the way to cite sources in MLA format under, categorized by the kind of work.
Works cited web page FAQs
What’s a works cited web page?
A piece cited web page is the ultimate web page of a analysis paper that lists all of the sources the creator used together with further info corresponding to publishers and publication dates. The works cited web page is a requirement of papers written in MLA format.
When do you have to use a works cited web page?
You must at all times embrace a works cited web page when writing an educational paper in MLA format. Different codecs like APA and Chicago use their very own variations of the works cited web page. For instance, APA makes use of a references web page.
How is a works cited web page formatted?
Every supply used for a paper will get its personal entry within the works cited web page. Sometimes, the creator is listed first, by their final identify, adopted by the work’s title, writer, publication date, and different related info just like the web page numbers or URL. If the supply makes use of a model or version quantity or is a part of a higher assortment referred to as a container, this info can be talked about within the quotation.